Renal Nutrition 101 is an online course that is based upon content in the updated Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians, 4th Edition, 2020 developed by the Canadian Association of Nephrology Dietitians (CAND). The CAND Network is comprised of dietitians experts who provide renal nutrition therapy interventions and counselling in chronic kidney disease, hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and renal transplant.
This course is designed for undergraduate and graduate students, dietetic interns/stagiaires/students, dietitians with no or limited renal experience and other health care professionals with a special interest in renal nutrition, as well as practicing dietitians who wish to hone their skills in this area of practice.
Course content is focused on nutrition therapy for adults with chronic kidney disease. After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe kidney failure and disease prevalence and why it is a public health concern.
- Identify chronic diseases that contribute to kidney failure.
- Describe the normal renal function and kidney failure.
- Describe screening processes and tests for kidney disease.
- Identify therapeutic considerations for nutrition assessment.
- Describe nutrition therapy for:
- stages 1-5 no dialysis and conservative management
- stage 5 renal replacement therapy (hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and transplant)
- targeted interventions, specifically protein-energy wasting, calcium-phosphorus metabolism, dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes and vegetarianism.
The course features readings from the Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians with additional practice guidance, quiz questions, case studies and links to additional resources to enhance your learning. There is an end, of course, final quiz, where after 80% or more is achieved a personal certificate of completion becomes available.
This course is estimated to take about 10 hours to complete. The certificate of completion will indicate 8.0 Credit Hours once you have successfully completed the program.
DC members: $140.00
DC Student members: $70.00
Your purchase entitles you to unlimited access to course materials for 90 days from the date you register. You may purchase a 30-day extension here.
For more details on how to purchase this course for more than one person, please send an email to Member Services at email@example.com. Discounted rates are available for groups of students, stagiaires and interns.