Are you interested in exploring how the gut microbiota can influence the immune system, health and disease? Are you curious how nutrition fits into this picture? This comprehensive session reviews the most current scientific evidence on how the gut microbiome influences inflammation, contributes to overall health and the development of disease. You will learn the answers to common questions pertaining to the gut microbiome that are faced by dietitians and nutritionists.
Over the course of the session, our speakers:
- Set the stage with a thorough review of important definitions: bacteriome, microbiome, virome, metabolome.
- Give you a lesson in basic immunology to explain the immune relationship with the host.
- Discuss the importance of macronutrients, micronutrients and diet patterns.
- Explain rebiosis.
- Answer the many questions about this area of practice that you have!
Following this presentation, you should be able to:
- Explain the role of the gut microbiome, particularly in relation to how it interacts with the immune system and ultimately influences health and disease.
- Discuss the interactions of the gut microbiota with various dietary components and its consequences for metabolism.
- Describe the practical diet strategies that can be used to support a “health-associated gut microbiome”.
Date of presentation: November 21, 2018, Coast to Coast Speaker Series
Speakers: Natasha Haskey MSc RD, and Dr. Gibson PhD.
- Video presentation (2 hours and 50 minutes) with the presentation slides (pdf)
- Audio file (mp3 file)
Cost: $19.95 for members; $24.95 for non-members; $14.95 for students