Dietitians of Canada’s Counselling for Behaviour Change course is an evidence-based, self-paced learning program that provides valuable insights on counselling strategies that support behaviour change. The program includes illustrative examples of effective counselling, worksheets and resources to use with clients, additional readings and references as well as practical tools for you to use every day.
Developed by Hollie Raynor, PhD, RD, LDN with the assistance of an expert Advisory Committee, the course is a balance of practical information, research and background materials that will serve you well as you think about nutrition counselling and nutrition education. It was designed for both those just entering dietetic practice as well as those who wish to hone their skills in this important area.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Discriminate between nutrition education and nutrition counselling.
- Evaluate several evidence-based therapeutic counselling models that are used to promote behaviour change.
- Compare and practice the counselling techniques and strategies involved in effective client-centered lifestyle intervention.
- Analyze the client worksheets that may be useful in your nutrition counselling practice.
- Reflect on your own counselling style and generate a plan to incorporate new techniques and strategies into your clinical practice.
The course consists of 5 modules with the following features:
- Extensive evidence review and specific practice guidance.
- Videos and role-plays to enhance learner understanding.
- Case studies and self-reflection questions to facilitate retention and application of the course content.
- A complete copy of the Instigating and Implementing Eating and Physical Activity Behaviour Change: A Lifestyle Intervention Manual and Toolkit.
- Links to further resources.
- End of course exam.
- A personal certificate of successful completion.
- A self-reflection record to be used to support your annual professional development plan.
This program has been created with the extensive support of the DC Diabetes, Obesity and Cardiovascular Network.
Your purchase entitles you to unlimited access to course materials for 90 days from the date you register. Extensions will not be granted.
DC Member Price: $85
DC Non-Member Price: $145
DC Student Member Price: $60
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on how to purchase this course for more than one person. Discounted rates are available for groups of students and interns.
Course content was updated Spring 2014. This course is expected to take between 5 - 6 hours to complete. The certificate of completion will indicate 5.0 Credit Hours once you have successfully completed the program.