This program is an evidence-based, self-paced learning program. The course focuses on the development of the knowledge and skills required for conducting a community nutrition needs assessment and prioritizing needs - two performance indicators in the Integrated Competencies for Dietetic Education and Practice.
Based on effective adult education and learning theory, this 6-module, case-based course includes interactive features, periodic quizzes to test understanding of the learning concepts, additional resources for further reading, a final test to assess knowledge and skills, and a printable certificate of completion.
- Describe reasons why a needs assessment is important in professional practice.
- Assess groups, communities and populations according to size, demographics, needs, strengths and abilities.
- Identify available assets and resources.
- Collect, organize and utilize sources of information relevant to a proposed program.
- Integrate findings into community nutrition program plans.
- Prioritize goals and strategies in community nutrition programs.
This course supports learning (Knows and Knows How) related to some aspects of the following ICDEPs version 3.0:
1. Food and Nutrition Expertise
1.07: Integrate population health promotion principles and practices
2. Professionalism and Ethics
2.04: Employ a client-centred approach
2.10: Engage in reflective practice
6. Population Health Promotion
6.01: Assess food- and nutrition-related situations of communities and populations
6.02: Determine food- and nutrition-related issues of communities and populations
This course was updated in the summer of 2019. It was created with extensive input from dietetic educators, public health practitioners, and dietetic students. Dietitians of Canada gratefully acknowledges the original funding support for this project from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
It is estimated that the course will take 3 to 5 hours to complete. The certificate of completion will indicate 4.0 Credit Hours once you have successfully passed the final test.
Included in this course is a workbook which is intended for use by the learners while they view and listen to the course so that they have an opportunity to explore the concepts more deeply.
DC Members: $70.00
DC Student Members: $35.00
Your purchase entitles you to unlimited access to course materials for 90 days from the date you register. You may purchase a 30-day extension here.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on how to purchase this course for more than one person. Discounted rates are available for groups of students, stagiaires and interns.