Nutrition Care Process in Dysphagia
The Nutrition Care Process in Dysphagia online course is one of three interrelated courses created to deepen the knowledge and skills of the registered dietitians in the area of dysphagia assessment and management. To benefit most from this course, it is recommended that you also complete the courses entitled Professional Practice in Dysphagia Management and Swallow Screening and Assessment for Dysphagia.
This course reviews the nutrition care process (NCP) for adult clients with dysphagia. Case illustrations, professionally produced client simulations, and quizzes will provide opportunities for application, critical reflection and testing to deepen the registered dietitian's knowledge and skill in areas identified in the role paper: Defining the Role of the Dietitian in Dysphagia Assessment and Management.
The primary goals of the course are to:
- Enhance the knowledge and clinical skills of the registered dietitian in the nutritional management of dysphagia, including medical charting, following the nutrition care process and terminology framework and creating nutrition care plans for specific dysphagia conditions.
- Strengthen the role of the registered dietitian and their communications with other health disciplines to improve care of the client with dysphagia.
- At the completion of this course, participants should be able to:Describe the four components of the NCP and its application to the management and treatment of dysphagia.
- Describe the major compensatory strategies, particularly food texture and liquid consistency modification, which can be used to minimize the impact of dysphagia on health and quality of life.
- Describe the essential elements of dietetic practice including ethical considerations, regulation, communication, documentation, collaboration and self-reflection for continuing education needs.
The content for these courses has been developed with extensive contributions from experienced dietetic practitioners and educators. It is tied to the Integrated Competencies for Dietetic Education and Practice (ICDEP) and the Competencies for Dysphagia Assessment and Management in Dietetic Practice released January 2017. Together, these courses provide the necessary theoretical and didactic grounding for professional practice, prepares the learner for additional hands-on or blended learning opportunities in dysphagia care.
This program has been created with extensive input from dietetic practitioners and dietetic regulatory bodies. Dietitians of Canada gratefully acknowledges an unrestricted educational grant from Nestlé Health Sciences. The grant supported the development of multimedia features of the course.
Your purchase entitles you to unlimited access to course materials for 90 days from the date you register. Extensions will not be granted. It is estimated that the course will take 5 - 6 hours to complete.
DC Member Price: $75
DC Non-Member Price: $165
DC Student Member Price: $50
For details on how to register groups of students and interns, contact email@example.com.