PLEASE NOTE: this is a bilingual session and there is NO simultaneous interpretation or translation provided.
VEUILLEZ NOTER : il s'agit d'une session bilingue et il n'y a AUCUNE interprétation ou traduction simultanée disponible.
Fatphobia and weight stigma in the healthcare community increases the risk of perpetuating health disparities based on weight. This session will provide concrete examples for dietitians to evaluate one’s nutrition practice to develop and apply a weight inclusive approach to reduce fatphobia, weight stigma and their harmful consequences.
After this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe the consequences of fatphobia and weight bias in the health environment based on scientific evidence (including the PEN® Weight Stigma Background and related practice questions);
- Identify and interpret evidence and resources (including the new Weight Inclusive Background within the PEN® system) that support a weight inclusive approach; and
- Evaluate one’s nutrition practice to develop and apply a weight inclusive approach.
This session was part of the DC National Conference 2021.
Date of Presentation: May 26, 2021, DC National Conference
- Miranda Burgess, MPH, RD (presentation in English/présentation en anglais)
- Karine Gravel, Dt.P., Ph.D (presentation in French/présentation en français)
- Video presentation (1 hour 20 min)
- Handouts (PDF)
- Audio file (mp3 file)
- $19.95 for DC members
- $39.95 for non-DC members
- $9.95 for DC student members