Physicians, chefs and health professionals are cooking up culinary nutrition interventions across North America. As food and nutrition experts, dietitians are well-positioned to be leaders in this emerging practice area, blending together evidence-based nutrition alongside food skills training. In this session, we will showcase how to communicate core food and nutrition messages using a culinary nutrition approach. This unique conference opportunity will leverage skills and training inherent to dietetic practice, and help dietitians conceive of their clinical expertise within an emerging culinary nutrition framework.
Dietitians will leave this session able to:
- State the value of culinary nutrition interventions in dietary behavior change
- Articulate the case for why dietitians are best positioned to deliver these interventions.
- List three practical strategies for designing and implementing culinary nutrition interventions in day to day practice.
Now is the time for dietitians to harvest existing practice tools, and gain the experience needed to deliver impactful culinary nutrition interventions.
Date of Presentation: June 17, 2020, DC Virtual Conference
Host: Community and Public Health Network
- Kristyn Hall MSc RD is the CEO (Chief Eating & Energizing Officer) with Energize Nutrition. She helps men and women in midlife find ease and flow with food to become a healthier version of themselves. She provides energy, enthusiasm, coaching and a shame-free space to talk about food and nutrition struggles. Kristyn leads health-inspired cooking classes, helping people learn cooking skills and discover the pleasure of eating great-tasting food. As a consulting dietitian, Kristyn has provided services to many corporate clients. Kristyn has a Master’s of Science degree in nutrition, a certificate in Culinary Arts and is a Certified Health & Wellness Coach.
- Julia MacLaren RD is a passionate culinary dietitian and the Alberta Health Services Wellness Kitchen Consultant. Julia draws on a breadth of practice experience to fuel her innovative approaches to knowledge translation and hands-on nutrition interventions in the kitchen. Participating in clinical research, novel interdisciplinary and community collaborations, and dietitian training, Julia is a leader in culinary nutrition practice in Canada. Recently awarded membership in the Harvard affiliated Teaching Kitchen Collaborative as the first Canadian teaching kitchen, Julia is thrilled to share the theory, evidence, and practice tools she applies daily in this emerging and rewarding approach to practice.
- Video presentation (1 hour 40 min) including CFDR Lightning Round Research Presentation with the presentation slides (pdf)
- Audio file (mp3 file)
- Food Demo Program Plan (pdf), Program Planning Template (pdf), References (pdf)
BONUS! This presentation comes with a CFDR Lightning Round Research Presentation:
Perception des jeunes à l’égard de la division des responsabilités liées à l’alimentation au sein de leurs futurs ménages
Introduction: L’acte de cuisiner est fortement encouragé en promotion de saines habitudes de vie. Au Canada, la charge mentale associée aux tâches liées à l’alimentation est principalement féminine.
Objectif: Documenter la perception d’adolescents à l’égard du partage des tâches liées aux repas dans leur futur ménage.
Speaker: Marie Marquis, PhD, DPt
Cost: $19.95 for members; $24.95 for non-members; $14.95 for students